How To Add QR Codes To III Library Catalogs
Adding QR Codes to your Innovative Interfaces Library Catalog is pretty easy! Just follow the steps below. Note, you should be familiar with your III HTML files before attempting to make these changes. If not, contact your Systems Admin. I also recommend testing on your test-webport first.
- Backup two files in your /screens directory — wwwoptions and bib_display.html, then download to your computer (via FTP)
- In wwwoptions, look for ICON_RECORDLINK and change it to:
where YOUR_LIBRARY_WEBSITE is the URL of your Library Catalog. %s will dynamically display the unique record id.
- In bib_display.html, add in:
to where you want the QR code displayed. Be sure to put the recordlink token on it’s own separate line and aligned to the left.
- Upload both files back into your /screens folder and reboot the webports.
- Do a keyword search in your Library Catalog and find a record. You should see your QR code somewhere on the record display. (See image below)
- Take your mobile device and scan the QR code (using a barcode app). It should take you directly to the page with the catalog. This makes it easier for patrons to search for something on a desktop computer, scan it, and capture that data on their mobile devices to take to a librarian.
Recommended QR Scanner Apps
If you need a QR scanner for your mobile device, here are some I recommend. Download the appropriate one.
- iOS: QR Code Reader and Scanner
- Android OS: Mobiletag Barcodes Reader
- Palm WebOS: QR deCODEr
- Blackberry, Nokia, and more: UpCode
For further reading and more advanced QR techniques, read about it on Google Code.